Friday, July 18, 2008



Halo from Lippo Karawaci, Indonesia!

Our trip- Rehoboth to Albuquerque to Dallas to San Francisco to Hong Kong to Singapore to Jakarta to Karawaci.

Highlights of the trip:
Meeting SPH Teachers (the White Family and Steven Pointdexter) on the plane in Hong Kong and enjoying time in Singapore with them (see posted photo below).



Being enfolded by a great community at SPH. From the moment we were met at the airport at SPH through tours of the school and shopping trips, our new community here has been Christ’s love to us. (I hope to write more about the SPH community later)

Lowlights of the trip:
Length of trip (see number of stop overs above)- At one point , Janet leaned over and said “I’m going to have to tell my mother I won’t be coming back, because I never want to be on a plane this long again”
There is a bad combination for many people, especially us: tired AND hungry. Weird schedules and weirder food (by Eric and Neil’s standards) has pushed us into this combination more than usual.

Misc. occurrences and observations:
· Singapore- the most watched place on Earth (as in Surveillance). When teaching kids about government, I often say a simple way of summarizing and comparing governments is to look at how they balance two different and opposite goals: freedom (rights) and order (protection). From what I understand, about 40 years ago, Singapore chose order ($1000 fines for chewing gum, littering and spitting, ect…). While extremely clean and neat, it also has an eerie sense of big brother (starting with guards at the airport carrying fully automatic weapons). It does, however put a smiling face on its restrictions (see picture below).





· We often prayed before the trip that God would go before us and prepare this place. We really have felt that this happened.

7 comments:

Mary Lou and Ron Donkersloot said...

Hey Steve, Janet and family!

Glad to see you have made it safely, now you simply need to get over the jet lag and huge time change. That will come with time. I am glad that you were greeted with love and kindness over there. I have visions of you and other staff helping us get our house in shape when we first arrived in NM. I am glad that you too have felt welcomed.
Blessings,
Ron

ZFamNM said...

Hi there,
Been praying for you guys So exciting. want to visit. So Jealous... Hey at least we are sharing the same weather right now! 85 and 100 % humidity. How's Neil's afro?
sian

Short Holwerda said...

Hi Weeda Family!
We're so glad you've arrived! That San Fran-Hong Kong flight is something, isn't it?! When we finally got out in Ho Chi Minh City, I looked at Jim and said, "That is just wrong to do that to your body!"
How encouraging for you to travel the last leg of the trip with new school friends! With continued prayers and love,
Short and Jim

Anonymous said...

Hi southern hemisphere buddies,
We are so glad you made it safely and relatively sane! We'll keep praying as you settle in find your way around and adjust to the many differences.
Love,
Jenny

mictom said...

Hey Steve,Janet and Kids! So glad you made it and everything sounds good. I'm sure it has it's moments of Unreality! We are thinking of you all with Lots of Love and Positive Wishes. We are so glad we live in the Age of this great technology. we will be checking your Blog often and will be thankful whenever you can put something up.
With Love,
Micki, Tom and CT

mictom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim K said...

Hi folks,
glad you made it safely and that you had people to catch you on that side. I hope your jetlag headaches are short-lived, your climate adjustment is quick, and your adrenalaine is bottomless as you adjust to life in Indonesia. You will be a blessing. Take care.
Jim and Beth