In an attempt to be Teacherly (sic), I have prepared a short quiz about students at SPH. It will be a fun way of telling you my perceptions of them (which after only one month, may be way off).
True or False.
___1. Students here sport the latest Kobe Bryant and Lebron James basketball shoes
___2. Public affection between males and females is common.
___3. Because of uniforms, dress code violations are minimal.
___4. In class, the front seats are the most coveted seats.
___5. Students here are more talkative here than at Rehoboth.
___6. The writing abilities of my students are better than anywhere else I have taught.
___7. Students here are "gadget freaks", and often have the latest camera, IPhone, or MP3 player.
(see answers below picture)
My homeroom (grade 11)
Answers:
True- Members of the basketball team all have the latest expensive Kobe, Lebron, ect… shoes.
False- Haven’t observed this at all and don’t think I will.
False- Uniforms only add an element of challenge in the drive for individuality. Even though boys have to wear white shirts, red ties, blue pants, white socks and black shoes, they still forever push the boundaries (top button undone when it should be done, pants sag way down when it shouldn’t, shoes with markings of white instead of pure black, ect…).
True- Students complain when I put them in the back. I finally arranged my room to have 8 desks in the front row instead to 6 to accommodate more students.
True- These kids all LOVE to talk. Unsupervised classrooms, chapels and hallways are loud with talking (in Bahasa) and laughing. In my quest to find a culture where teenage girls don't giggle, yell and scream, I have failed miserably.
False- So far, I have not been impressed with the students writing ability here. Although, because English is their second language, it shouldn't be too surprising.
True- Ipod touch, Blackberries, IPhones.... I can't keep them all straight... but the students sure do.
I hope this gives you a bit of information about the kids I teach without stereo typing them too much. Please write or comment if you have questions.
sweeda
2 comments:
Hey Steve,
Good to read your views as always! I was pleased to score 100% on your quiz. The uniform issue is always interesting to me as it always seems to be about somehow individuals being able to express who they are in spite of the rules.
Thnaks again!
I miss you guys
Post a Comment