Saturday, September 6, 2008

Our Transportation


Today (September 6) was not a typical day for transportation for us, however it gives a great example of the transportation options exercised by our family. It started when Janet and I took an ojak (see definition below) to school to catch a ride in a private car to Jakarta. After returning home, Janet and kids walked back to SPH to go swimming. I later biked there to meet them. To return home they took a city bus, while I returned via the bike. Near the end of the day, we decided to go out to eat and again took an ojak, after which we returned home in a Taksi. While fun and unique, this travel “lifestyle” can be maddening for a family (especially with rainy season on the way) and on Monday we should have a car. We still hope to make use of all these other options on a more sporadic basis.

Ode to Ojaks

Ojak driver and I before school

Ojaks are scooters/motorcycles equipped with friendly drivers. For fifty cents to a dollar (5000 to 10000 Rupiah) you can ride for a mile or two. I take one to school every morning and once and a while to the mall. Once, Eric, Neil and I (and a driver) all squeezed on one for a ride on his 150cc scooter (I tipped heavily for that one). One driver, without me asking, shows up at my door and waits for me every weekday morning (see picture above).

Eric and Neil on Ojak heading to mall. Don't worry, we

since bought them helmets


Other News:

I was supposed to be in Bangkok this weekend with 15 students at Harvard Model Congress Asia, a simulation of U.S. Congress set up, obviously, by Harvard students. Unfortunately, because of political unrest in Thailand, we were unable to go. Please pray for a peaceful solution to the rioting.

For the first 5+ weeks we were here it rained only 3 or 4 times (less than in New Mexico) However in the last week it has rained as much.

3 comments:

Mary Lou and Ron Donkersloot said...

Interesting transportation options! Nice to have someone pick you up in the mornings. Glad to see that you are getting to be at home in your surrondings.
Blessings,
Ron Donkersloot

ZFamNM said...

Steve,
Jason and I were shocked at your picture. We hardly recognised you but once we covered up the tie we could see it was you. We didn't know you owned one.
Jason and Sian

sweeda said...

I assumed the "hair helmet" would throw most people off, not the tie.