Eric and I blending in with the locals
This week SPH celebrated Bulan Bahasa, the equivilent to Heritage week in North America. A chance for everyone to immerse themselves in all things Indonesian: Language, culture, food, music and dress. Some highlights:
- The canteen sold exclusively Indonesian food. My personal favorite for this week was Sate (pronounced sat-ay) which are skewers of grilled chicken with peanut sauce along with rice wrapped in banana leaves. (I'm also a fan of rendang which is curry and chili sauce over rice and beef or chicken). On the weird side, people here love congealed things in their drinks. It's rather disturbing to get a slimy ball of jello in your mouth as you are drinking fruit juice.
- The kids had competitions in Bahasa (language) which included debate, music composition, dance, and monologue. The week concluded with a large assembly showing off all the winners of the competitions.
- Friday was Batik day when students were allowed to wear traditional batik shirts, dresses and skirts. Eric and I joined the fun, as you can see above.
Talk more later,
steve
No comments:
Post a Comment