Friday, September 19, 2008

Rubber Time

Handy Indonesian phrase “jem karet” – translation “rubber time”. When things take a long time or when people arrive late, just remember “jem karet”. This term is similar to the handy New Mexico phrase “rez time” and, from what I’ve heard, the handy Jamaican phrase “island time” ect...

Here is a great example of when to say “rubber time”.

After completing a test for class tomorrow on my computer and printing it up I wish to photocopy it. Here is what happens:

At Rehoboth: I would send the print job directly to the photocopier from the computer where it would print, collate and staple everything. I pick up the job in 2 minutes.

At SPH: All photocopying takes place in the office where an office boy photocopies things. I walk it down to the office to find it closed (“jem karet”). I must return in the morning to photocopy it. The office only opens 20 minutes before school begins (“jem karet”). I show up when it opens to find the copy boy not there yet (“jem karet”). I then run Hope to her Kindergarten class (which is supposed to open its doors 10 minutes before school starts (“jem karet”), only to find that the teacher not there yet (“jem karet”). After the teacher arrives I run back to the office to find the office help there. I hand him the paper and then find out he has other copy jobs from yesterday still to do (“jem karet”).

Some people (Chinese and western expats) confuse rubber time with laziness, which I don’t think is true. Indonesians are incredibly hard working. The Senior school hallways ceilings were replaced (along with new recessed lights) and painted in the last week. All the work was done in a few nights and was transparent to most students. Workers may have arrived a few minutes late but they got lots done!

By the way: I’m writing this on my home high speed internet connection in Indonesia…. something I was unable to get at 6 Hogan in Rehoboth, New Mexico. (“jem karat”)

Answer to last week’s picture (temperature gauge in our new car): If you checked the comments, you saw that the Zylstra’s guessed correctly… our new car has no heater (if you want heat…ROLL DOWN THE WINDOW!!).

We covet your prayers and emails,

Sweeda

No comments: